derekd234derekd234

Main Audio Reviews Stats

3 audio Reviews with Responses

Head Down (NiN Remix) Head Down (NiN Remix)

Very great job!

COOL:
-The over all sound. It keeps the feel of NiN's ambient style, but gives it a different taste.
-Great tranitions. Although the beginning may need some rework, they were nicely done.
-Very interesting. It had me hooked from the beginning to the end.
-Awesome remix. It's very well done, and is a great example of mastery of one's creative abilities.

NOT SO AWESOME:
-The Tambourine. It's a bit too loud.
-The Piano. It should be brought out a bit more, and be a bit less supportive of the vocals.
-The echo. In some parts it's great, but it seems to get in the way more often than not.
-The vocals at 2:15 seem waay out of tune. Way tooo sharp. I would take an auto-tuner to it and make it a semitone flatter. It sticks out bad, and almost ruins the mood of the song.

OVERVIEW:
It's a great song that has captured the essence of ambient music. It took a long time and lots of effort, and it shows very well in this song. Although some things could be fixed in a rework, it's nothing incredulously hard to do. Keep up the great work, I would love to see more in the future, maybe try "The Mark Has Been Made" by Nine Inch Nails. Although there aren't vocals, I would like to see a remix or "cover" of sorts. It would be a great sound to hear.

JMcGoran responds:

Thanks for the input! Some really cool ideas there :) As for the vocals going out of tune, I did think about shifting it up, but the feel I was going for in both arranging and mixing was ambient, but with a good helping of awkward, as if something isn't quite right when you listen to it. So I kept it in and added the same note on piano to emphasis it. The main criticism of this piece seems to be that piano (or any instrument) mirroring the main vocal/melody isn't the way to go, so I shall remember that for the future! Thanks again!

Ska Void 1 Ska Void 1

REALLY experimental...

The drums are a bit on the fast side, the bass & synth at 0:34 sound like they were mashed together, and I don't hear any trumpets. I think it's just a bit too confusing for my taste.

ragingmullet responds:

Ha experimental to say the least. This was the first one so yeah its a bit bleh if you catch my drift. Try listening to some of the newer stuff in the Ska Void Series. Ska Void 11 is the first to have horns! WOO!

Broil Meats Grill Broil Meats Grill

Totally awesome.

It's a really great song for a TV show if it were instrumental. The horns kinda seem a bit loud and fabricated. Next time try to quiet them down a bit. Other than that, it's pretty good, lyrics are good, guitars are good and the drums are spot on.

tydiggy responds:

sweet thanks, yeah i know the horns do sound very fabricated. the person we're recording them with is still learning how to record horns correctly.